Gyeongbokgung palces is the oldest, biggest & most popular place among 4 places (Gyeongbokgung , Changdeokgung, Changgyeonggung, Deoksugung, gyeonghuigung) of Lee Dynasty capital city (1392~1960).
Gyeongbokgung palace history
Gyeongbokgung palace was completed in 1395 as a main political, staying places of the Lee royal family. But This palaces was destroyed by fire during the Imjin War (1592-1598), and remained under the disrepair for around 270 years. However, all of the palace buildings were later restored under the leadership of Heungseondaewongun in 1867 to strengthen the power of royal family. But during the Japan Korea government, In 1990, has made the detailed plan to complete restoration of the palace which is still on-going.
Gyeongbokgung palace main Buildings
It is the main gate of the Gyeongboggung Palace with a double-roofed pavilion over three arched openings set in a high stone foundation. The king used the central arch, while the crown prince and officials entered through the openings on either side. The gate pavilion housed a bell, which announced the time of day. The original gate had been moved to the north of Geonchunmun Gate, the east gate of the Palace, when the headquarters of the Japanese Government-General in Korea was built right behind Gwanghwamun Gate in the 1920s. Bombed during the Korean War(1950-1953), the pavilion of the original gate was destroyed and the stone foundation was severely scarred. Gwanghwamun Gate was rebuilt in 1968 as a concrete structure but restored to its original shape as a wooden and granite structure in 2010.
It is the Throne Hall, where the king granted audiences to his officials, presided over large official functions and met foreign envoys. Geunjeongjeon Hall is the largest and most formal hall in gyeongbokgung Palace. The two-tier edifice stands on a high platform reached by stone steps. There is a spacious courtyard in front, where important events were held, and corridors enclose it.
Geunjeongmun Gate is situated at the center of the southern corridors. On the left of this gate is Ilhwamun Gate and on the right Wolhwamun Gate. Yungmunnu Pavilion is located in the eastern corridor and Yungmuru Pavilion in the west.
Geunjeongmun Gate, the entrance to the Throne Hall enclosure, was where the king and his officials gathered for weekly meetings. The king faced the south sitting on a throne installed in the middle part of Geunjeongjeon Hall Gate, and the officials lined up in the Hongnyemun(now Heungnyemun Gate) Gate enclosure to offer their formal greetings. In other words, Geunjeongmun Gate was not simply a gate but the place where political activities start.
Gyeonghoeru Pavilion, a pavilion located on a pond to the west of the living quarters, was built as a venue for feasts for foreign envoys and for the king and his court officials.When gyeongbokgung Palace was constructed, a small pavilion was built there, but in 1412(the 12th year of King Taejong), the pond was enlarged and a pavilion of the current size was built. This pavilion tilted, so it was rebuilt during King Seongjong’s reign(r. 1469-1494). At the time, the stone pillars were decorated with dragons and flowers. During Yeonsangun’s reign(1494-1506), The hills called Mansesan were created on the other two smaller man-made islets decorated with artificial flowers. All those were burned down in a fire during the Japanese Invasions(1592-1598). Although the pavilion disappeared, kings would periodically officiate at rites to pray for rain at the pond until gyeongbokgung Palace was rebuilt in the late 19th century.
Hyangwonji Pond and Hyangwonjeong Pavilion
In 1873, when King Gojong built Geoncheonggung Palace, he had a pond dug to the south, with an islet created in the middle. A two-tier hexagonal pavilion, built on the islet, was named Hyangwonjeong Pavilion and the wooden bridge leading to it was called Chwihyanggyo.Chwihyanggyo Bridge was the longest wooden bridge constructed on a pond during the Joseon Dynasty. At present, the wooden bridge from the south provides access to the islet, but the bridge was originally on the north side to be reached from Geoncheonggung Palace. In 1953, the bridge was moved to the south side of the pond. The sources of the pond are underground water and a spring coming down from the mountain at the back of the Palace. The water eventually flows into the pond where Gyeonghoeru Pavilion stands.
Gyeongbokgung Palace Special Evening Admission
Time : 19:00 to 21:30, 09:00~ 17 or 18:00 ( seasonal reason)
Ticket fee : 3000 KRW (adult), 1500Krw ( to 18 age old)
* If you wearing the Korean traditional clothes, It is free but limited 500 persons per a night). You can rend it, many shops nearby. Foreigner can get the ticket at Gyeongbokgung palace ticket box
Telephone: 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
• For more info: +82-2-3700-3918
Hanbok rental & photo shoot
Hanbook rental & photo shoot is very popular events of Gyeongboggung palace. There are many Hanbok rental shops.
The price per a person about 10000 ~50000Krw according to rental time. In average, Hanbok rent fee is about 10000~15000 Krw per a time up to Hanbok quality.
In a google map, you could search it by ” Gyeongboggung palace Hanbok rental shop”
Transportaion “how to get Gyeongboggung palace”
It is located in Seoul downtown. The most easy way to get there is Subway in Seoul. In a Google map, search “Gyeongboggung subway station” From the subway station, it would take about in 10 minutes by walking.