Changgyeonggung Palace of the important information about the history, main building and traveling stuffs (transportation, ticekt fee, open & close time, close day
Changgyeonggung place history & features
It was built in 1483 by King Seongjong (the ninth king of the Joseon Dynasty) to take care of the 3 wives of the preceding kings. Compared to other palaces, the size of the palace is compact and simple. As I told, it was connected to Changdeokgung Palace and formed a palace called Donggung(East palace) . It served as an independent palace and also served as a supplement to the insufficient residential space of Changdeokgung Palace. It was destroyed in the 25th year of King Seonjo’s reign (1592-1592), and was rebuilt in the 8th year of King Gwanghaegun (1616). However, This palace was lost due to the Yi Gwal’s Rebellion in 1624 (the 2nd year of King Injo’s reign) and the Great Fire in 1830 (the 30th year of King Sunjo’s reign). Myeongjeongjeon Hall, Myeongjeongmun Gate, and Honghwamun Gate, which survived from the fire, show the architectural style of the 17th century Joseon Dynasty.
Seoul palaces map
Seoul’s palaces are separated in near places. The distance is about 20 minutes by walking.
Gyeongbokgung Palace info: open time, ticket, hanbok rent etc
Changdeokgung Palace info: open time, ticket, hanbok rent etc
Main important old buildings to see
Honghwamun Gate (홍화문: 弘化門)
It is the main gate of Changgyeonggung place with 2 roofs as like others’ palace main gate, which was constructed in the 15th year of the reign of King Seongjong (1484) of Joseon. However, it was burnt down in the Japanese Invasion of 1592 and then rebuilt in 1616, the 8th year of the reign of King Gwanghaegun. In the record that it was here at the gate that King Yeongjo (r. 1724-1776) tried to hear the views from ordinary people on the Equal Taxation Law (Gyunyeokbeop) he was to adopt in 1750. It was also at the gate that King Jeongjo (r. 1776-1800) distributed rice to poor people in 1795 as part of the commemoration of the 60th birthday of his mother, Royal Lady Hyegyeonggung Hong (1735-1815). All the royal palaces of the Joseon Dynasty were built to have three gates to the royal audience hall except for Changgyeonggung Palace which has only two because of a lack of space. It has important value as a research material for wooden architecture in the early 17th century. The middle gate of this building is for the King entrance.
Myeongjeongjeon Hall (명정전 明政殿)
This is the throne hall and the main hall where the official royal rituals took place – such as a coronation, greeting ceremonies and receptions. Initially, the hall was built to serve as a residence for the queen, not for the official events of the king. inside the building, yongsang (a king’s seat) is located in the center and its behind, a folding screen featuring the Sun, Moon and Five Peaks are placed. The sun and moon refer to a king and queen or yang and yin each while the five peaks mean the Five-Elements or the whole nation. The painting implies the national prosperity and welfare of the people. Erected in 1484, destroyed during Imjinwaeran (Japanese invasion of Joseon in 1592~1598), and rebuilt in 1616, this building is considered the oldest jeongjeon of its kind, but relatively small in comparison to other two-story jeongjeons such as Geunjeongjeon Hall of Gyeongbokgung Palace or Injeongjeon Hall of Changdeokgung Palace., which was initially built to be used as the queen’s quarters, not for the king’s official events.it is a building that well inherits the characteristics of the early Joseon Dynasty architectural style and is a valuable material for the study of architectural history. Myeongjeongjeon Hall (명정전 明政) means the bright smart politics, Jeon(殿) means office building of royal family.
Tongmyeongjeon Hall(통명전 通明殿)
This building was built in I1484, which has been destroyed and rebuilt many times over the years, most recently in 1833. It is located in a next to Yanghwadang Hall, served as the residential quarters for the king and queen.
This place is renown for a bizzare story about Lady Jang (1688~1694, Jang Ok-jeong widely known as Jang Hee-bin). Lady Jang was a royal concubine and later became the queen consort of King Sukjong (1661~1720, r. 1674~1720). In 1694, when her predecessor Queen Inhyeon (1667~1701) returned to the palace and Lady Jang was demoted from the queen consort, Lady Jang attempted to curse Queen Inhyeon through making a shamanistic altar and burying hideous things. This caused Lady Jang’s death and her body was moved to outside of the palace through Seoninmun Gate, the side door of the palace, not through the main Honghwamun Gate. There is a spring behind the Tongmyeongjeon Hall. In 1757, King Yeongjo (1694~1774, r. 1726~1774) named it as ‘yeolcheon (冽泉)’ meaning ‘fiery cold spring water.’ A pond situated in the west of this hall was made in 1485 to prevent overflow of the pond.
The center section of the hall is composed of a wooden floor with an ondol, or heated floor, on both sides of the center.
it means “mastery and brightness”, which means “to sit down in a largely bright embossed corner and master the lives of the people and to govern the nation well.”
It is Korea’s first western-style greenhouse, completed in 1909, which was built by the Japanese with a zoo in Changkyeong palace. It was designed by a Japanese and constructed and completed by a French company, and is a western-style greenhouse that surrounds a structure of steel structures and wood with glass. at the time of completion, rare plants, including tropical ornaments, were exhibited. after the restoration of changyeong palace in 1986, it exhibited domestic native plants and was designated as a registered Korea cultural property in 2004.
Changgyeonggung Palace Ticket fee, how much? & open time
Korean / Adults (age 25~64) 1,000 won 800 won(Group: over 10 people)
Foreigners / Adults (age 19~64) 1,000 won 800 won (Group: over 10 people)
Foreigners / Youth (age 7~18) 500 won 400 won (Group: over 10 people)
Free Guided Tours
- For groups of 30 persons or more, reservations are required two days in advance
- Tours last approximately one hour
English (Tue-Sun) 11:00, 16:00
Japanese (Tue-Sun) 10:00, 14:00
Chinese (Tue-Sun) 09:30,15:00
Open time: 09:00~ 21:00, Last admission: 08:00 PM
Changgyeonggung palace ransportation, how to go?
The best way of travelers to get there, I suppose it is Subway. From the Ankok subway station exit 2 far away about 1Km, You also can take buses( No 272, 601, 162..) from Ankok station to the palace. I also recommend using google map.